Saturday 19 November 2011

Buntings of Snow

This weekend I found myself camera in hand on a beach in north wales. There were a couple of people walking the dogs and the sun was just rising above the industrial estate behind me. Bliss. This scene was further improved by the arrival of no less than 10 Snow Buntings. For those unfamiliar with the species, these are birds of the high arctic and northern scotland that move south for the winter, and a small division always end up at a site in North Wales. I've been reading the reports of them up and down the coast for weeks now, but at last they have settled. They feed on a dead log most of the time, kindly being fed by the locals and any birders passing. To get a good shot you need to be patient, so six hours later I was still there! Here's female pretending to be a stone...


And a cracking bird right in front of me...


A rather adventurous individual coming closer than the others...


And this little one setting me up for an artisic attempt...



A brilliant day out with some very nice birds. A word of warning, if you do know this site and choose to visit, be patient and wait for buntings to come to you, not the other way around. Also, don't forget to out some food for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment