Wednesday 1 August 2012

Shetland 2012- Day V: Hear no Evil, Speak no Evil, See F*** All

Well I woke up on my last day up north, looked out the window and went back to bed? Why? Because it looked like someone had shoved cotton wool up against the glass. I couldn't see a foot in front of me, which doesn't bode well for trying to see birds. Despite this, at 8:00am with no sign of the weather improving we consumed some oatcakes and went out into the fog. It cleared a little, and I could make out some Oystercatchers by the roadside, a young'n with its parent...


...I was pleased with the shot actually, especially as it was the first one I took before 11am! Still, the fog started to lift and along with my spirits. We headed south to Sumburgh Head, an RSPB reserve. Its a sea cliff, but (in my opinion) not in the same league as Hermaness. I shouldn't knock it though, its a good reserve, here's a newly fledged sparrow on a rock...



...but through the clearing fog I spotted what I really wanted to see, an Arctic Skua and only the second one of the trip...


...If Bonxies are thugs, then Arctic Skuas are assassins, they're just more refined-looking birds. Still, as I panned after this killer I heard a wren below me. Close in. So I looked down, and literally about 2 foot from me a Shetland Wren sat, singing away. I took some shots, it gave me a once-over and then retreated....


..but at this point I somehow lost my mind. I'd signed a pact with myself; I had loads of Puffin shots from my stint up on Hermaness, I didn't need any more from Sumburgh. What I certainly didn't need was a load more editing. What I should've done was look to find the Skua again. But then one landed in front of me and preened. It was about three metres away. Any thoughts of Skuas flew away as quickly as the bird itself. I became a Puffin-mad photographical machine once more...


...and then one with fish came, so I could get The Shot. Y'know? The one on the cards at Smiths...?


...and out the burrow...



...and a happy-flappy bird...


...but, as ever, all good things must come to an end and it was through this logic that I found myself in the departure lounge at Sumburgh airport. It'd been a great trip, with only one new bird for me in Red Necked Phalarope but a host of new species in front of the lens. I was thoroughly pleased with my 5 day stint, so it was with teary eyes I boarded the Loganair flight to Aberdeen. Goodbye Shetland, I can't wait to return!

However, I cannot just leave this hanging. I'd like to thank Jason Atkinson for his help planning this trip, without his knowledge i'd never've visited Hermaness, Fetlar or Burravoe. More help also came from Dougie Preston, so thanks for help with the Black Guillies even if they didn't play fair in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment