Tuesday 24 July 2012

Shetland 2012- Day IV: Contingency Plans

Well, as we approached West Sandwick from the north the sun was behind us creating beautiful golden light and it poured over the moorlands of Yell. We still hadn't seen a Golden Plover at that point, so armed to the teeth with tins of Sardines, some bread and a second battery we set off up onto the moors to find one. Sure enough, one was calling straight away. Now Golden Plover nest in loose colonies, with a couple of pairs fairly close together. This makes singling out a bird for a photo difficult. To augment this, there's nearly always a sentry bird, and this colony was no exception. I took a long distance snap and left it be...


...but this was quite late at night, I was tired and tomorrow was another birding day so I packed up, loaded my photos and slept the sleep of those that've crawled too far on their bellies!

Next day we heard the early morning forecast over breakfast. High winds, turbulent seas, no Mousa crossing for us! This was confirmed with a quick look at the Mousa website, and was a real pity for us as we were really looking forward to the chance of Black Guillemot and Divers. So I had all of a sudden a need for a plan B. This came from Jason Atkinson and Dougie Preston, who had both reccomended Burravoe on the south coast of Yell for Black Guillemots. So we had a look early doors, but nothing about. However, patience is often rewarded (even if it is from unusual quarters!) and we soon had 7 Dunlin...!


...Lift off...!


...a wee preen...


...I think Kelp and sullen sea water were my favourite background I had all day...


The walk back to the car was further sweetened by the appearance of Twite by a tumbled down chapel, one of my favourite birds and something I had on my Shetland 'wishlist' of things i'd love to see...


...how close....?


... but although we had these sensational views we did need to get on, so we left th Twite to their seeds, the Dunlin to their weeds and the Black Guillemots nowhere to be seen. But that's life, and wildlife in particular; win some, lose some, carry on anyway. I picked up this fella in the rock armour at Toft...


...and as we rounded the bend off the ferry we had this Redshank, which with some careful car manouvering was within shooting distance...


...but our real target was Red Throated Diver. I'd seen em before, the day before, but as Divers generally are they're right buggers to shoot! They're also a protected species so I can't photograph them with young, even if they were by the roadside (as they were on a number of occassions!). So I won't disclose where I saw them, but they were our target on the road up towards Eshaness, an area reccomended as the best area for them by Richard. Here's one by the road...


...but that's the best I got, although I can't complain as I watched an adult feeding chicks from the road! Another Shetland special was on the cards too, a pair of Whooper Swans...!


Now I see you looking at the water in the last two shots and I hear you think 'that's not exactly stormy, why wasn't this fella on a boat bound for Mousa?'. Well this was in the north, and as we drove south the extent of the wild weather was revealed. We pitched up at the Spiggie Hotel for the night, and continued south to Sumburgh for some afternoon Puffins. But the 6 foot breakers, howling winds and rain did not make for ideal conditions. However, non-ideal conditions often mean 'interesting' images, particularly as the Puffins struggled to land on the thin ledges...!


...or battled the wind simply staying there...!


...but at this point there was spray in the air and I didn't want any of it on my lens so I left them be and headed back for a right nice tea at the Spiggie Hotel and an early night! Who knew what the morning held? Who knew what would've been brought in overnight...!

No comments:

Post a Comment