Tuesday 5 March 2013

On Glassen Waters...

Its one of those things that is generally accepted about photography, that there are certain places to see certain species. Now I tend to have to avoid these places, these places tend to be a long way from the railway line and civilisation in general, so it is only when I have the help of others that I get out to these species-specific sites. This was the case towards the end of last month as I had a weekend in Wales, I managed to get out to photograph a rather confused bird.

Now that last statement may require some clarification; clarification I am more than happy to give. The word for a male 'Goose' is a 'Gander', whilst a female is referred to as, well, a 'Goose'. As a result, it is surprising to see a bird called a Goosander, they're not hemaphrodites as far as I can see! The Goosander Gander (if I can call them that) is well renowned as the hardest bird to expose. Ever. White on the bottom, green on the top. Now I love that bottle green and the salmon-cream white of the underside, but trying to get them both the correct colour, jeez. But hey ho I had a go, have a look fer yourselves...


...and the full body shot...


...now take the next one with a pinch of salt, its an arty effort...


...gettin' down low...


...the fable male...underexposed...


...and the flappy shot...


...all in all a top morning out, hopefully get down there again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment